Your rights as an air passenger
In 2019, a new set of rights to compensation for air passengers has been adopted in the Air Passenger Protection Regulations (SOR/2019-150). The Air Passenger Protection Regulations apply to ALL flights to, from and within Canada, including connecting flights.
To be eligible for compensation, you must file a request within one year from the day of the delay or cancellation. The airline must respond within 30 days after receiving this request.
As of July 15, 2019, the following regulations have come into force:
- Airlines must inform passengers clearly about their rights and provide regular updates in case of flight delays or cancellations
- Airlines must provide passengers a certain standard of treatment during tarmac delays and allow them to leave the aircraft in the case of delays of more than 3 hours
- Passengers who are denied boarding due to reasons within the airline’s control are entitled to compensation of up to $2,400
- Lost or damaged baggage may entitle passengers to up to $2,100 + refund of any baggage fees
- Clear rules about transporting musical instruments, including any fees involved
As of December 15, 2019, the following regulations will come into force:
- Passengers who experience cancellations or flight delays of more than 3 hours may be entitled to $125-$1000 depending on the length of the delay and the size of the operating airline*
- Flight delays of 2 hours or more entitles passengers to food, drinks and electronic means of communication. If the delay runs overnight, you are furthermore entitled to free accommodation and transport to and from the hotel
- Flight delays of more than 3 hours entitles passengers to a rebooking on the next available flight. If the next available flight is more than 9 hours away, passengers should be rebooked on another airline, if possible. If the delay is too long for the passenger, he or she is entitled to a refund of their original ticket and a compensation for the inconvenience
- Airlines must do whatever they can to seat children below 14 years of age next to their parent or guardian, at no extra cost
*If you are travelling to or from the European Union or travelling with an airline based in the EU, other rules may apply. Read more here.Check if you can get compensation
Check your compensation